A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

Suspect in Kimmy’s Korner robbery, who was shot by police in Cincinnati last month, has died

Northern Kentucky Tribune

The man who was a suspect in a crime spree that included the robbery of Kimmy’s Korner Grocery in Covington, has died.


Robert Schneider, who reportedly told an acquaintance he would rather die than go back to prison, succumbed to injuries sustained when he was shot by police in Cincinnati’s Westwood neighborhood July 31.

Schneider was shot by police officers from Green Township and Cheviot during a pursuit that began after the robbery of a Marathon gas station on Cheviot Road.

The vehicle involved in the robbery, with Schneider driving, was identified and a chase involving officers from several police agencies ensued.

Police say Schneider began waving a gun at police after he exited the vehicle and fled on foot. According to a statement from the Hamilton County Prosecutor’s Office, Schneider attempted to enter two residences.

He was ordered to drop his weapon, but refused and was fired on once by Officer Timothy Bittner of the Cheviot Police Department and four times by Green Township Officer Barbara Aylward.

He was struck in the head and torso.  The statement indicates the gun was still in his hand as officers approached.

Schneider was transported to University Hospital where he remained until he died Friday morning.

The Hamilton County Prosecutor’s office released the following statement regarding Schneider’s death and the incidents that led to the shooting.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph T. Deters announced that no charges will be filed against the officers in the July 31st officer- involved shooting on Geyer Woods Lane in Westwood.

On July 31st at approximately 10:30 a.m. Robert Schneider (DOB 10/21/72) robbed the Marathon Station located at 6050 Cheviot Road at gunpoint. A car chase ensued with numerous police agencies, including the Hamilton County Sheriff’s department helicopter, attempting to stop Schneider’s vehicle. Schneider eventually stopped his car and fled from the police on foot.

Hamilton County Prosecutor Joseph T. Deters provides information about the death of Robert Schneider Friday (provided photo).

Schneider ran through a residential neighborhood brandishing a handgun and pointing it directly at police officers. He tried unsuccessfully to enter a residence. He then ran across the street and tried to gain entrance, again unsuccessfully, to another home located at the end of Geyer Woods Lane. The female homeowner struggled with Schneider at the door but was able to keep her door closed and prevent him from gaining entry.

P.O. Timothy Bittner, Cheviot Police Department, ordered him to drop his gun. Schneider refused his commands and Office Bittner fired one shot at the suspect.

P.O. Barbara Aylward, Green Township Police Department, joined the pursuit as Schneider was attempting to gain entrance to the second residence. Aylward fired three shots and Bittner fired one additional shot for a total of five shots fired at Schneider.

Schneider was struck in the head and torso. Schneider’s gun was still in his hand when the officers approached him after he had been shot.

Schneider was transported to University Hospital where he stayed until he died early this morning.

Prosecutor Deters commented, “This is another example of tremendous bravery by the police. Officers Bittner and Aylward are to be commended for chasing and apprehending a dangerous suspect before he could cause more harm to innocent people.

There are not enough accolades to truly express the gratitude that our community feels for our first responders.

My thanks to the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department for conducting the investigation and to all of the police agencies that participated in this chase: Cincinnati, Cheviot, Colerain, Green Township and the Hamilton County Sheriff’s Department.”

Related Posts

Leave a Comment