A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

Suspect charged with shooting at police in Erlanger taken into custody following SWAT standoff

By Mark Hansel
NKyTribune managing editor

Jacob Julick was taken into custody tonight in the Cincinnati neighborhood of Westwood following a six-hour SWAT team standoff.

Jacob Julick, shown here being taken into custody following hours-long S.W.A.T. standoff in Cincinnati’s Westwood neighborhood. Julick is charged with shooting at police officers in Erlanger during a June 6 traffic stop (provided photo).

Julick, 27, has been on the run since June 6, when police say he shot at Lakeside Park-Crestview Hills Police officers following a June 6 traffic stop.

According to a police report following the incident, a suspect identified as Julick fired several shots at the officers as he fled on foot following the traffic stop in front of the Speedway gas station on Dixie Highway in Erlanger.

At that time, police say he was armed with a 9mm pistol.

He was charged with 2 counts of Attempted Murder of police officers, Possession of a Handgun by Convicted Felon, and 1st Degree Persistent Felony offender. 

He was spotted in Kenton County Saturday and a police chase ensued, but evaded police when the pursuit was called off out of concern for public safety.

Cincinnati Police Department Public Information Officer Lt. Steve Saunders described the series of events that led to Julick being located, and ultimately taken into custody, Tuesday.

“The U.S. Marshalls apparently located Jacob Julick in this area, in the 3100 block of McHenry,” Saunders said. “After they located him, they requested the assistance of the Cincinnati Police S.W.A.T. team. The S.W.A.T. team responded, obviously and through a long process of methodically searching the property, they did successfully place him into custody.”

Jacob Julick was arrested after an hours-long SWAT standoff in Westwood on June 25. Julick has been on the run since he allegedly fired at Lakeside Park Police officers June 6. He was located in the attic of a three story building in the 3100 block of McHenry Avenue. Cincinnati Police Department Public Information Officer Lt. Steve Saunders provides details of the arrest.

The standoff began early Tuesday afternoon and lasted for several hours.

Saunders said the apartment was occupied initially, but law enforcement officers managed to get the other residents out of the building. They also evacuated residents of nearby buildings that might have been in danger if the situation escalated.

Cincinnati Police blocked off a section of McHenry Avenue in Westwood between Harrison Avenue and Westwood Northern Boulevard Tuesday afternoon for a S.W.A.T. standoff. Jacob Julick who was charged with shooting at Lakeside Park Police officers following a June 6 traffic stop was ultimately taken into custody without incident (photo by Mark Hansel).

Officers then began the search, but acted with an abundance of caution. Julick was considered armed and dangerous and was already charged with having fired at police in the June 6 incident.

Police say the three-story multi-family building was searched room-by-room, floor-by-floor, until Julick was located in the attic.

“He was wanted for some very serious, violent crimes toward law-enforcement officers in Kentucky,” Saunders said. “We’re thankful it was resolved very peacefully.”

Julick surrendered without incident.

Despite the relatively uneventful surrender, Saunders said Julick represented a great threat to the public.

“He didn’t think twice about shooting at police officers in Northern Kentucky,” Saunders said. “I also heard he tried to…ram a police officer in Kentucky, as well as in the Covington area, so obviously, he didn’t have a lot of regard for the public safety, or law enforcement safety. We’re glad he’s off the streets.”

Julick was taken into custody by U.S. Marshals and will be returned to Kenton County to face the charges related to the June 6 incident.

Kenton County Commonwealth’s Attorney  Rob Sanders issued the following statement Tuesday night.

“I greatly appreciate the work of the US Marshals Task Force to track down Julick and Cincinnati SWAT for taking him into custody without injury to any law enforcement officers. I look forward to bringing Mr. Julick back to Kentucky where he can learn how much we frown upon attempting to kill our police.”

Contact Mark Hansel at mark.hansel@nkytrib.com

Related Posts

Leave a Comment