A nonprofit publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

NKU students, faculty, staff to speak out against budget issues at campus rally Thursday

The Northern Kentucky University community will speak out Thursday about its position that more of the burden of education costs shift to students to an extent that renders the cost benefits of attending state-supported institutions inconsequential.

Attendees will gather at the plaza-side entrance to the Student Union between the Student Union and University Center at noon.

Faculty and other speakers will call attention to the trend of shrinking support. According to a 2017 report from the Kentucky Center for Economic Policy, the Commonwealth of Kentucky funded 71 percent of the cost to operate state institutions in 2002 with the remaining 29 percent coming from student tuition.

The 2018 numbers look very different for NKU says Mark Leeman, associate professor.

“With far less support in 2018 and requiring students to pay for what our taxes should cover, this amounts to a state government mortgaging the lives of millennials,” says Leeman.

Those interested in addressing the issues facing higher education are encouraged to attend.

For more information contact Associate Professor, Jacqueline Emerine at emerinej1@yahoo.com

The NKU community

Related Posts

Leave a Comment