A publication of the Kentucky Center for Public Service Journalism

FC Cincinnati blanked by Ottawa Fury FC 4-0 at TD Place Stadium, snapping unbeaten streak

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

FC Cincinnati, looking to solidify a playoff spot, conceded three goals in the first 20 minutes in an eventual 4-0 loss to Ottawa Fury FC at TD Place Stadium today. The loss snapped a six-match unbeaten streak for the Orange and Blue, who fell to 11-11-9 and into eighth in the Eastern Conference table while Fury FC (8-13-10) collected their first win over FCC in their final home match of the season.
Onua Obasi had the early strike for Ottawa Fury FC, punching in a goal from the top of the box for a 1-0 lead in the fourth minute. The home side continued to threaten as Steevan Dos Santos looked to stretch the lead to two goals in the seventh minute by blasting a shot off the right post that bounced away.
However, six minutes later, Fury FC did find their second goal as team captain Carl Haworth spun away from Austin Berry in the box and turned to send the ball past Mitch Hildebrandt in the 13th minute.
Haworth made it a brace after logging a tally in the 20th minute for his second goal this season. Upon collecting a pass from midfield from Jamar Dixon outside of the six-yard box, Haworth found the back of the net to give Ottawa a 3-0 advantage.
Fury FC continued their attack in the second half as Dos Santos headed in a pass from Eddie Edward in the 47th minute, giving the forward 10 goals on the year.
Ottawa’s Kyle Venter was ejected in the 69th minute for pushing Kyle Greig, giving FC Cincinnati a man advantage. However, it proved to be too large of a deficit and Fury FC was able to continue to press the Orange and Blue defense. Once play resumed, Adonijah Reid fired a shot from outside the box that was stopped by Hildebrandt.
Haworth deflected the ball off Berry in the 73rd minute, earning a corner for Ottawa and Haworth’s effort to the near post was flicked out of play by Sem de Wit.
FCC, who was able to create eight shot opportunities in the second period, cleared the ball following Ottawa’s corner kick and Jimmy McLaughlin pushed the ball forward to Andrew Wiedeman, eventually resulting in a corner kick.
Danni König earned a corner for FCC in the 76th minute but the team was unable to get off a clean shot. Wiedeman looked to put FCC on the board in the 78th minute but his shot just grazed the top of the goal.
McLaughlin connected with Harrison Delbridge in the 84th minute as the midfielder took the corner kick but Delbridge’s header was high and went untouched by Irving.
FCC concludes the regular season next Sat. at Toronto FC II with kickoff slated for 7:30 p.m.

Share on FacebookTweet about this on TwitterPin on PinterestShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUponShare on RedditEmail this to someone

Related Posts

Leave a Comment